Author Topic: Training  (Read 543 times)

b.s.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Training
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:44:37 PM »
Training pipeline (at least a stab at imagining one)

Two types of trainees here:  Controllers, and a course for pilots who want to use controllers.  Really the two courses would probably follow pretty close to the same skeleton, just geared specifically at two different targets.

Training Pipeline:

1.  Join forum.  Participate.

2.  Academics:  learn some basics of controlling, terminology, purpose, brevity, tactics.  Maybe pass a quiz or an oral.

(somewhere in here, we need to figure out how to cover software installation / configuration / setup specifically for controlling)

3.  Standards:  Kind of an extension of academics, but where academics is general, standards gets specific.  Maybe a different quiz or oral here.

4.  Training missions (TE).  These don't even necessarily have to have live pilots in them...  we could devise a TE and just let it run, and let the controller instructor play the blue flight(s) of interest.  And devise things to unfold in such a way as to expose/train the points we want controllers to understand how to handle.

5.  Training missions (Lives).  No kidding, get some live pilots at least in the blue air, flying against either AI or red air live pilots, and go fly some training scenarios with live controllers and pilots.  The nice thing about this community (at least initially) is everyone who controls is probably also a bms pilot.  So to some degree we can staff our own live controller training flights.  But as needed we can rff/ato from outsiders, as long as they are willing to fly our profile and adhere to our standards for the purposes of instruction.

6.  Check Ride:  Probably a re-test of the standards, and definitely a live check.

In theory, someone who isn't even a BMS pilot at all, I would think, should be able to go through this training pipeline, pass a check ride as a controller, and control.

You pretty much have to have falcon/bms installed, I imagine, to really effectively control.  Honestly I don't know if you can just listen in on ivc client or even just directly on teamspeak, without being in falcon...  meh.  so that gets back to the software configuration piece.

Thinks?

snipercan

• View Profile
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:02:08 PM »

(somewhere in here, we need to figure out how to cover software installation / configuration / setup specifically for controlling)

Although I agree most of what you say....
which software are you talking about? OSC or BMS?

b.s.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:03 PM »
Yes.

There are cases where you might need to change the bms config files to make ivc work for a controller.

Also I assume OSC but I suppose we could roll with the bms livemap as well...

Or come up with something entirely different.

There'll probably be a software thread eventually.  heh.

snipercan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 11:52:22 PM »
For sure we need a software thread :)

BMS live map unfortunately shows only flight lead. If as a flyer I know that AIC uses BMS map I would seperate my numbers from lead so they become stealth :)

b.s.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:53:44 PM »
See now you're talking tactics... that's probably a different thread again :)

Blu3wolf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blu3wolf.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »
For sure we need a software thread :)

BMS live map unfortunately shows only flight lead. If as a flyer I know that AIC uses BMS map I would seperate my numbers from lead so they become stealth :)

Andif you know we use OSC, you just wont install that, and you will still be invisible to us.

This stuff is only as realistici as you make it. Helps that its not prototypical to split a flight up significantly, at most the elements might split up, or the flight members in an individual engagement ifsplit criteria is met.

In an ideal world, BMS would have an AWACS screen for ABM/WDs, with a radar interface and L16 terminal. We have to work with what we have,though - which means 2D map and when possible, OSC.
8OSS/CC
8VFW Wolfpack

snipercan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »
In an ideal world, BMS would have an AWACS screen for ABM/WDs, with a radar interface and L16 terminal. We have to work with what we have,though - which means 2D map and when possible, OSC.
Dreaming  :o :P